The City of New Haven, first called Pottinger’s Landing, was founded in 1820. Harrod’s Company established a station on Pottinger’s Creek in 1781 and one its members, Colonel Samuel Pottinger envisioned the area becoming an important shipping point for products bound for New Orleans via the Rolling Fork River, Salt River, Ohio River and the Mississippi River. A large flat boat landing and warehouses were built near the Rolling Fork River. The City was incorporated in 1839.
Read more about New Haven's history.